Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I get my pin cleared for registration?
- When can I register for class?
- What is the Depth Study requirement?
- Why am I required to meet with an advisor if I am at 80 percent on my DegreeWorks?
- Who do I contact for class permits?
- My advising pin has been cleared, but I have a hold on my account. What do I do?
- I’m thinking of dropping a class, what do I do?
- How do I waitlist a course?
- If I take courses in the summer at a different university, how will I know if they transfer?
- How does transfer work affect my GPA?
- I’m thinking of changing my major/minor/concentration. How can I determine what I would need if I change?
- I have questions about my scholarship(s), who should I contact?
- How do I send my transcript to a different institution?
- How do I apply to graduate? When should I apply?
- Why do I need to apply for graduation a semester early?
- Do I qualify for Latin Honors? If so, how do I get my honors regalia for graduation?
How do I get my pin cleared for registration?
Advising in the College of Engineering is mandatory. This means students must meet or communicate with their assigned advisor at least once each semester in order to have their schedule approved for registration and to have their advising pin removed.
Learn more about how to get advised.
When can I register for class?
Registration normally starts Monday of the seventh week of the semester.
- Spring: Select and register for summer and/or fall courses
- Fall: Select and register for spring courses
General registration time assignments are set by the University Registrar.
Follow the steps below to check your specific registration date and time:
- Go to the myBama Student tab
- Click “Registration Tools Module”
- Click “Registration Status”
- Select term
Note: Priority registration is given to students in honors programs, student athletes, students registered with the Office of Disability Services and students who completed their first Co-op rotation.
What is the Depth Study requirement?
The Depth Study Requirement can be found in DegreeWorks. In order to complete this requirement students must complete six credit hours in HI/SB or six credits in HU/L/FA within the same discipline/subject. Students cannot fulfill requirement with three credits of HU/L/FA and three credits HI/SB. For example, Economics- EC 110 and EC 111- taken as two HI/SB electives, or Spanish- SP 101 and SP 102- taken as two HU/L/FA electives.
Review the Core Curriculum and search by attributes (HI/SB/HU/L/FA) on the University Registrar’s website.
Why am I required to meet with an advisor if I am at 80 percent on my DegreeWorks?
Meeting with your assigned advisor serves as a pre-graduation audit to ensure accurate and timely information for graduation. Learn more about how to get advised.
Who do I contact for class permits?
For engineering courses:
If you are having trouble registering and you receive an error message, for an engineering course, send an email to your advisor with PERMIT NEEDED in the subject line. Please include your name and CWID and list the course number, section number and error message.
For non-engineering courses:
You will need to contact that specific academic department.
- Any MATH course – If you receive a prerequisite error when you try to add a math course, visit the website for the UA Department of Mathematics. Under “Resources” select “Request Permission to Enroll in a Course” and submit the detailed information.
- PH 105 or 106 – Send email to Karen Lynn at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 205-348-5050. You must have completed MA 125 with a C- or better to be in PH 105.
- CH 101 or 102 – contact Dr. Michael Jennings at email@example.com. You must be in Math 112 or higher in order to add CH 101.
Contact information for other academic departments can be found through the University’s website.
My advising pin has been cleared, but I have a hold on my account. What do I do?
Registration Hold Contact information can be found through the University Registrar. It is important for you to contact the office or department where you have a hold so you can resolve the matter and register for courses you need as soon as possible.
Contact your assigned advisor with your name and CWID if you have any further questions.
I’m thinking of dropping a class, what do I do?
Before you make any changes to your schedule you are strongly encouraged to speak with your professor to learn your current grade, and if it is possible for you to pass the course.
Also, please contact your assigned advisor to keep him/her informed of your academic plans. Remember to always include your name and CWID.
How do I waitlist a course?
If you decide that you would like to waitlist a class, you can review the information on that through the University Registrar. We encourage you to continue to monitor for open seats and you can also email the instructor of the course you would like to add.
If I take courses in the summer at a different university, how will I know if they transfer?
You are welcome to complete courses at a different institution. Be aware there are limits to how many transfer credit hours can be applied to your degree. View transfer policy at the UA Undergraduate Catalog.
You will also need to generate a Letter of Transiency each time you take a course for another college or university to have transferred back to UA. The University Registrar provides an instructional video on how to create the letter,
Official transcripts or test scores should be mailed to:
How does transfer work affect my GPA?
I’m thinking of changing my major/minor/concentration. How can I determine what I would need if I change?
You can use the What-If function on your DegreeWorks to submit an audit based on the hypothetical major/minor/concentration. It will show how your completed, current and planned coursework meets the requirements of the hypothetical major/minor/concentration. We also encourage you to speak with the Advising Centers in the other Colleges across campus if you have further questions.
I have questions about my scholarship(s), who should I contact?
If the scholarship is specific to the College of Engineering, please contact fill out the scholarship contact form with your questions/concerns.
If you have a UA scholarship, please contact the Scholarships Office at 205-348-8201 or visit the website.
How do I send my transcript to a different institution?
You can request transcripts through the website, by telephone or in person. The University Registrar has the specific details.
How do I apply to graduate? When should I apply?
Follow the steps below to complete the online graduation application:
- Go to the myBama Student tab
- Click the Graduation App icon
- Select Apply
Each candidate for graduation is expected to submit an application for degree one term prior to the term of graduation. Please view the Registrar’s Office website for information on Commencement Exercises.
Why do I need to apply for graduation a semester early?
Applying to graduate a semester early guarantees you will get a degree audit— meaning if you need to make adjustments to your schedule, your advisor will contact you directly as soon as possible. If you apply the semester you intend to graduate, degree audits will be completed; however, the Advising Center cannot guarantee the degree audits will be complete before the last day to add or drop classes in your final semester.
Do I qualify for Latin Honors? If so, how do I get my honors regalia for graduation?
Latin honors designations are based on the following GPA ranges:
- cum laude 3.50-3.69
- magna cum laude 3.70-3.89
- summa cum laude 3.90-4.00
Undergraduate honors designations at the time of the graduation ceremony are calculated based on the student’s cumulative UA GPA at the end of the semester previous to the semester of graduation.
Latin Honors stoles and red caps are distributed by the College of Engineering. Students are encouraged to contact their major advisor for more details.
Commencement instructions can be found through the University Regristrar.